Help Louisiana Flood Victims
Over 20 schools lost everything in the recent flooding in Louisiana. KAHPERD and the Joint Projects Committee has decided to promote an initiative to help the Physical Education programs replenish their equipment supplies. If you would like to donate your U.S. Games certificates that you receive from the American Heart Association follow these steps:
1. Get approval from your building administrator.
2. Forward the AHA email containing the U.S. Games certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc your building administrator May 31, 2017.
Thank you for your support.
Welcome back to the 2016-2017 Jump Rope and Hoops for Heart program
Click below to see what's new for this year's program.
KAHPERD and Hoops for Heart
Hoops For Heart (HFH) is a national fundraising program jointly sponsored by SHAPE America and the AHA. HFH promotes physical activity, heart healthy living, and community service. HFH targets middle school students, but anyone can hold a JRFH event. Hoops For Heart...
- Is a fun event for the entire school!
- Promotes community service
- Is an educational program for middle school students
- Funds lifesaving research and educational programs that fight heart disease and stroke
- Teaches students to set goals and discover that they can make a difference!
How Partnership Works
HFH events are conducted in schools by physical education instructors, coaches or teachers and can be scheduled whenever it’s convenient — during physical education class, lunch or before or after school. Once you register, you’ll receive an event kit with everything you need to conduct a successful HFH event:
- Step-by-step instructions on scheduling, promoting and conducting the event.
- Educational modules for heart-healthy curriculum to support heart awareness with the event.
- Tips for fundraising. Participants ask friends and family for donations and receive thank-you gifts based on the dollars they raise. Our online tool makes raising money safe, easy and fun for families and schools.
- Training and support from an experienced American Heart Association staff person.
- Teachers receive opportunities for professional development at the state/national level.
During Hoops For Heart Events
- Kids learn the value of community service and become empowered to contribute to their community’s welfare.
- Children join together in helping other kids with special hearts.
- Students learn how to develop heart-healthy habits while being physically active.
- Participants learn jump rope and basketball skills they can use for the rest of their lives.
- Kids raise funds for research and outreach programs that can save lives.
Benefits for Your School
- HFH is a great service learning project offering students a terrific way to participate in community
- Service fund research and educational programs that impact every community
- Integrate physical activity and critical thinking skills
- Encourage cooperative activity
- Provide fun ways to support physical education and health education standards
- Reward schools with physical education gift certificates based on dollars raise
Why it's an Important Event
- Heart disease ranks as this nation's No. 1 killer
- Stroke is No. 3 and a leading cause of serious disability
- Every year, 1 million people die from cardiovascular disease and stroke -- that's 1 of every 2.5 deaths in the United States
- Cardiovascular disease and stroke may remain critical problems in the future because of poor lifestyle habits among American adults and children
- Over 15 % of children and adolescents are now overweight
- 4 million children have above-normal blood pressure
- 27 million children have high cholesterol
If you are interested in signing up to coordinate a Jump Rope for Heart or Hoops for Heart event contact Jenny Nixon, AHA Regional Vice President,Youth Market (KS/MO/SoIL), email@example.com or KAHPERD Joint Projects Co-Chairs Karla Stenzel, ksustenzel@gmailcom and Kim Morrissey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
AHA staff will provide you will necessary tool kits to help you organize your event. KAHPERD will also provide support upon request.
- Each Hoop/Jump Rope for Heart Coordinator, who completes an event, will receive a redeemable coupon for $10.00 off membership in KAHPERD.
- KAHPERD will electronically deliver the coordinator incentive with a printable attachment. This coupon must be redeemed by May 31st of the following year.
- KAHPERD Executive Director will reward coordinators who raised $5000+ with one free one year KAHPERD membership. (9/11)
- KAHPERD Executive Director will contact and reward coordinators who raised $7500+ with one (1) free KAHPERD convention registration that must be redeemed by May 31st of the following year. (9/11)
American Heart Association Incentives
- AHA presents an official JRFH/HFH Banner to each school completing an event.
- Event coordinators also receive a thank-you gift from AHA.
- AHA awards US GAMES gift certificates to event coordinators who reach a minimum of $1,500. These certificates can be used to supplement the school’s physical education equipment and supplies.
- If a coordinator refers a non-participating school and the new school completes an event that raises $1000 or more, the referring coordinator will receive a $50 US Games gift certificate.
$1,500 to 2,999
$3,000 to 4,999
$5,000 to 7,499
$7,500 to 9,999
$10,000 to 14,999
$15,000 to 19,999
$20,000 to 24,999
$25,000 to 29,999
$30,000 to 34,999
SHAPE America Incentives
- All coordinators that raise at least $2000 receive a one year free SHAPE America E-Membership